Processing external data entities

From: Tony Graham <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 18:55:53 -0500
David Megginson writes:
 > Without the QUERY feature (i.e. in Jade), is there any way to deal
 > with an external data entity that is not specified as an attribute
 > value on an element?
 >
 > Consider the following declarations:
 >
 >   <!NOTATION source PUBLIC "-//megginson//NOTATION Source Code//EN">
 >   <!ENTITY code PUBLIC "-//megginson//NONSGML Program Listing 1//EN"
 >     NDATA source>
 >
 > In the style language, it is easy to handle
 >
 >   <listing source=code>
 >
 > using
 >
 >   (element LISTING
 >     ...)
 >

 > but, as far as I can tell, there is no way to get at the entity's
 > contents in the following:
 >
 >   <listing>
 >    &code;
 >   </listing>

Truth to tell, I (and possibly several others) have yet to have to
handle your first case of "<listing source=code>".  Can you explain
how it would be done?

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham, Consultant
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                         Phone: 301-231-6931
6010 Executive Blvd., Suite 608                     Fax:   301-231-6935
Rockville, MD USA 20852                e-mail: [email protected]